Click on thumbs to go to a larger versions of photos
Fokker Dr.1. 1/8 scale.
Museum model. Designed to be displayed without fabric covering.
Multi media kit with metal, plastic, rubber and wood parts.
Finished model size - Length 722mm - Wing Span 838mm - Total Parts 858 PCS

the MODEL Le RHONE 110 hp by HASEGAWA 1/8
Le Rhone. 1/8 scale.
Museum model.
Plastic parts.


"It's as manoeuvrable as the Devil and climbs like a monkey."
So said Baron von Richthofen, of the supremely agile Fokker Dr.1. This aircraft was a powerful tool in the hands of Baron von Richthofens's Flying Circus in the last two years of World War I. The Dr.1 overcame serious manufacturing flaws to become the scourge of Allied aces on the Western Front, weaving a pattern of destruction with its twin machine-guns. A ferocious adversary, this potent fighter was for a brief period the monarch of the skies and is arguably the world's most famous aircraft.

The prototype of the Dr.I series was completed in February, 1917 with the designation of Fokker V.31. The three wings were all independent cantilever type having no interplane strut near both wing tips. There was no dihedral angler and the ailerons were fitted to the top wing only. The fairing of the wheel axle formed a small wing. Later, a pair of interplane struts were added to this aircraft following some test flights. This revised aircraft was called the V.42. The Fokker V.42 was powered by the Oberursel Ur.II 9-cylinder 110h.p. air-cooled radial rotary engine. The V.42 then became the Dr.I.

After production of the Dr.I started, some powered-up versions were tried but none of them was officially adopted. They were, the V.5
3 powered by the Goebel Goe III 7-cylinder 160h.p. air-cooled radial engine, the V.6 by the Mercedes D.II 6-cylinder 120h.p. water-cooled radial engine, the V.74 by the Siemens and Halske Sh III 11-cylinder 160h.p. air-cooled radial rotary engine having a 4-bladed propeller with reduction gears. The Dr. stands for a German word "Dreidecker" meaning a triplane, and the I indicates the first model of the triplane officially adopted.

It was August, 1917 when the first delivery of the production model was made, and the aircraft numbered 102/17 was the first aircraft delivered to the Richthofen Squadron. The aircraft of this Squadron soon became famous for their red paint scheme. The commander Richthofen was nicknamed "Red Baron"
5 for he was really a baron. He ordered to paint all the aircraft of his squadron in red except for the under surface painted sky blue. This was his strategy to give a kind of mental pressure to enemy pilots who easily recognize the existence of the awful squadron. The commander himself used to fight on Albatros or Pfalz biplanes, but since the Dr.I was delivered, he succeeded to establish many war results with his newly developed group combat tactics where the excellent turning capability of the Dr.I was fully utilized. It is confirmed that there were seven Dr.Is frown by himself, and the last one was 425/17 when he was shot down. These serial numbers were usually drawn on the bottom of the fuselage side. It was on the 21st of April, 1918 when he was killed at his age of 26.

Although the small and light weighted Dr.I was excellent in its turning capability, the strength of the wing was not sufficient
7 and the maximum speed was a little slower than the biplanes in the same period. From this reason, the life of the Dr.I was rather short. The production ended in May, 1918, and a total of 320 aircraft was built. The powerplant was the Ofberursel Ur.II 110h.p. built by a German company, Oberursel Motoren under license obtained from a French company, Gnome et Rhone before the war, or the Thulin Le Rhone J 110h.p. built by a Swedish company Thulin under license8. In front of the cockpit, a pair of Spandau LMG 08/15 7.92mm fixed machine guns were installed with the propeller synchronizing mechanism. 500 rounds of ammunition were provide for each gun. The fuselage was a welded structure made of steel tubing covered by plywood and fabric. The tailplanes were also of pipe frames covered by fabric. The wheel axle was suspended by rubber cord which worked as a shock absorber. The fairing around the axle was shaped as a mall wing itself and was large enough to contribute to the total lift of the aircraft.
(by Hasegawa).

The following are the corrections of the above document provided by Mr. Achim Sven Engels of the Fokker-Team-Schorndorf.

1. The V.3 was a biplane with an inline engine, a somewhat larger version of the Fokker V.1. The correct Prototype designation of the Fokker triplane was Fokker V.4. Some modifications later led to the change of the prototype designation V.5 what was the last factory designation of the triplanes serial production later known as the Dr.I.

2. This should be the V.5, and there have been several more changes that led to the change of designation

3. Actually this was the V.7

4. V.10

5. Red baron is not a nickname that was used to describe Manfred von Richthofen during WW1. As a matter of fact he was called the "Red knight". He was named "Red Baron" long after the war has ended in the American comic books "The peanuts" when snoopy dreamed of being the famous red German fighter pilot sitting on the top of his dog house. As a matter of fact "Baron" is no German Prussian title, but was adopted by the Americans and British since they had no translation for the German word "Freiherr". He was really a baron. The Title of Floyd Gibbons 1927 book about von Richthofen was "The red Knight of Germany". And Richthofens own book published back in 1917 carried the title "Der rote Kampfflieger" (The red fighter pilot).

7. This is not correct at all. We have the original documents of the type test here in our archive and the strength of the triplane wings reached a safety factor of almost 8. The problems the triplane experienced with the breaking of Pastor's 121/17 and Gontermann's 115/17 find their reasons only in poor construction quality at the Fokker works and the Perzina Pianoforte factory who constructed wingspars for the triplane.

8. The company of Enoch Thulin never delivered engines to the German Army Air Service. According to letters from that time Thulin offered to construct a copy of the Le Rhone rotary engines and that the starting output would be two of these engines per month by 1918 what should be later raised to five per month.

Aircraft and Flight Characteristics
Fokker Flugzeugwerke mbH, Schwerin in Mecklenberg
Entered Service:
August 1917
Production aircraft Engines
Le Rhone 9 Cylinder 110hp rotary engine
Ofberursel Ur.II 110hp - under license
Weight empty 948 lb [430 kg] loaded 1292 lb [586 kg]
Wing Span:
23 ft 7 in [7.19 m]
18 ft 11 in [5.77 m]
Height: 9 ft 8 in [2.95 m]
Max. Speed 103 mph (165 km/h) at 13,120 ft.(4000 m)
Landing Speed 55 mph
Climb to 10,000 ft.
7 min. 6 sec.
Service Ceiling
20,000 ft. (6100 m)
Service Range
130 miles. (210 km)
1 hr 30 min
Armament 2 Spandau LMG 08/15 7.92mm (.312in) machine guns with the propeller synchronizing mechanism.
500 rounds of ammunition for each gun. They could be fired simultaneously or independently.
Fuel Capacity 16 1/2 gal (62.45 lt)
Number Built:
More info HERE

the ENGINE Le Rhone 110 hp Rotary

The Le Rhône had a conventional induction system and a remarkable method of connecting the link rods to the master rod. In the Le Rhône, the fuel mixture went first to an annular chamber at the back of the crankcase and thence, by attractive polished
copper pipes, to conventional intake ports and cam-operated valves in the cylinder heads. Although remarkable, the Le Rhône used a complicated slipper bearing system. Its master rod had three concentric grooves to take slipper bearings from all the other
cylinders. The master rod was a split-type to allow assembly of the connecting rods. The remaining rods carried bronze shoes, shaped to fit in the grooves, at their inner ends. Counting the master rod as no. 1, the shoes of no's. 2, 5, and 8 rode in the outer groove, those of 3, 6, and 9 in the middle groove, and 4 and 7 in the innermost one. In spite of their complexity thousands of Le Rhônes were built and worked very well. Even today, one can turn one of these 80-odd-year-old engines over by hand and feel it moving as smooth as silk.

The Le Rhônes employed an unusual method of valve actuation. A single rocker arm, pivoted near its center, was made to operate both the exhaust valve and the intake valve. Pulled down, it opened the intake valve; pushed up, it opened the exhaust. To do this, the rocker had to be actuated by a push-pull rod instead of by the usual pushrod.
This, in turn, meant that the cam followers had to have a positive action and a system of links and levers accomplished this. This system works well enough-some makers used it up to the late twenties-but its use makes overlap of valve openings impossible. In an engine designed for high power and speed, the intake valve begins to open before the exhaust valve is quite closed, but on the Le Rhône, the rocker arm must clear the exhaust before it can contact the intake. While this puts a limit on power output, it is not necessarily a fault. As it was, most Le Rhône models produced all the power that their structural strength and cooling arrangements could cope with.

Le Rhône 80-hp models were made under license in the United States by a Pennsylvania firm, Union Switch and Signal. Oberursel made the 110-hp model, supposedly without authorization in Germany. The Oberrursel U.R. II was a straight copy of the Le Rhône but the Le Rhône was preferred over the Oberursel due to the superior materials used over the home product. However, there were reports in July, 1918 that there was a shortage of Castor Oil which the rotaries required. A new Voltol-based lubricant was substituted and was blamed for a rash of engine failures on Fokker E.V using the Oberrursel U.R. II rotary engine. It has been suggested that without the proper lubricants, the Le Rhône rotary would have been equally failure prone. The largest wartime Le Rhône gave only 130 hp. As rotaries went, they were dependable engines.

This engine section courtesy of © The Aviation History On-Line Museum. 2001 All rights reserved.

the PILOT Manfred von Richthofen
the PLACE Morlancourt Ridge

Manfred Von Richthofen was killed just after 11 a.m. on April 21, 1918. He died after being struck by a single .303 bullet from ground fire, while flying his triplane over Morlancourt Ridge, near the Somme River. Known as The Red Baron, he was credited with 80 confirmed air combat victories, in one month alone downing 22 British aircraft, making him the most successful flying ace of all time.

From Wikipedia.

Manfred von Richthofen
May 2, 1892 - April 21, 1918
Around his neck he wears the Pour le Mérite, Prussia's highest military order.

Nickname Red Baron
Place of birth Schweidnitz, Silesia
Place of death Morlancourt
Allegiance German Empire
Service/branch Uhlan
Luftstreitkräfte (Imperial German Army Air Service, forerunner of the Luftwaffe}
Years of service 1911-1918
Rank Rittmeister
Unit Jasta 11, Jagdgeschwader 1
Commands Jasta 11 (01.1917)
Jagdgeschwader 1 (24.06.1917-21.04.1918
Awards Pour le Mérite
Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen (May 2, 1892 - April 21, 1918) was a German fighter pilot known as The Red Baron. He was the most successful flying ace of World War I, and was credited with 80 confirmed air combat victories.

Von Richthofen is also known as "le Baron Rouge", "le Diable Rouge" ("Red Devil") or "Le Petit Rouge" ("Little Red") in French, and the "Red Knight" or the "Red Baron" in the English-speaking world. The German translation of Red Baron is "der rote Baron", and von Richthofen is known by this title in Germany as well, although he was rarely referred to as "Baron" in Germany during his lifetime, as Freiherr is the correct title for his level of nobility. Richthofen's 1917 autobiography is titled Der Rote Kampfflieger, the translation by J. Ellis Barker was published in 1918 as The Red Battle Flyer. It has been noted that due to the publishing date of the German original before the end of WWI, the book is certainly influenced by propaganda and censorship of the time. Von Richthofen died during the war, and while he did not have the opportunity of publishing a revised version, he was quoted as saying the book was "too insolent" and that he was "no longer that kind of person".

Early life

Von Richthofen was born in Kleinburg, near Breslau, Silesia, into a family of old Prussian nobility (see also below). When he was 9 years old, he moved with his family to nearby Schweidnitz. The young von Richthofen enjoyed hunting and riding horses. After completing cadet training in 1911, he joined the Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexanders des III. von Russland (1. Westpreußisches), a cavalry unit ("Uhlan Regiment Emperor Alexander III of Russia 1st Regiment, West Prussia").

When the First World War broke out, von Richthofen served as a cavalry scout on both the eastern and western fronts. However, when traditional cavalry operations became obsolete due to machine guns and barbed wire, the Uhlans were used in ordinary battlefield operations and for reinforcements. Due to his disappointment with not being able to participate more often in combat operations, von Richthofen applied for a transfer to the Flying Service. After a while his query was granted and he joined the flying service at the end of May 1915.

Piloting career

He was initially an observer on reconnaissance flights over the Eastern Front during June to August 1915, with the No. 69 Flying Squadron. On being transferred to the Champagne front, he managed to shoot down a French Farman aircraft with his observer's machine gun, but was not credited with the kill, as it fell behind Allied lines.

He then trained as a pilot in October, 1915. In March 1916, he joined Kampfgeschwader 2 flying a two-seater Albatros B.II. Over Verdun on April 26 1916, he fired on a French Nieuport downing it over Fort Douamont, although once again he gained no official credit. At this time he flew a Fokker Eindecker single-seat fighter.

After a further spell flying two seaters on the Eastern Front in August 1916 he met fighter pilot Oswald Boelcke. Boelcke, touring the East looking for candidates for his newly formed fighter unit, selected Richthofen to join the new Jagdstaffel, Jasta 2. Von Richthofen won his first aerial combat over Cambrai, France, on September 17, 1916.

After his first victory, von Richthofen ordered a silver cup engraved with the date of the fight and the type of enemy machine from a jeweller friend in Berlin. He continued this tradition until he had 60 cups, by which time the supply of silver in blockaded Germany was restricted.Rather than engage in such risky tactics as his brother Lothar (40 air victories), Manfred von Richthofen adhered strictly to a set of flight maxims (commonly referred to as the "Dicta Boelcke") to assure the greatest chance of both squadron and individual success.

On November 23, 1916, von Richthofen downed his most renowned adversary, the British ace Major Lanoe Hawker VC, described by von Richthofen himself as "the British Boelcke." The victory came while von Richthofen was flying an Albatros D.II and Hawker was flying a D.H.2. After this engagement, he was convinced he needed a fighter aircraft with more agility, though this implied a loss of speed. He switched to the Albatros D.III in January 1917, scoring two kills before suffering a crack in the spar of the aircraft's lower wing. After this incident, von Richthofen reverted to the Albatros D.II for the next five weeks. Von Richthofen scored one kill in the D.III on 9 March, but the D.III was temporarily grounded for the rest of the month, so von Richthofen switched to the Halberstadt D.II, scoring six kills in the Halberstadt between 11 March and 25 March, 1917.

Von Richthofen returned to the Albatros D.III on 2 April 1917. He scored his next 22 kills in this type before switching to the Albatros D.V in late June. From his return from convalescence in October, von Richthofen was flying the celebrated Fokker Dr.I triplane, the distinctive three-winged aircraft with which he is most commonly associated, although he probably did not use the type exclusively until after it was reissued with strengthened wings in November.

Despite the popular link between von Richthofen and the Fokker Dr. I, just 20 of his 80 kills were made this now-famous triplane. In fact, it was his Albatros D.III that was first painted bright red and in which he first earned his name and reputation.
Von Richthofen championed the development of the Fokker D.VII with suggestions to overcome the deficiencies of preceding German aircraft. However, he never had an opportunity to fly it in combat as he was killed just days before it entered service.

The Flying Circus

In January 1917, after his 16th confirmed kill, von Richthofen received the Pour le Mérite, the highest military honour in Germany at the time. That same month, he assumed command of Jasta 11, which ultimately included some of the elite of Germany's pilots, many of whom he trained himself. Several in turn subsequently became leaders of their own squadrons.
As a practical aid to easy identification in the melee of air combat, Jasta 11's aircraft soon adopted red colorations with various individual markings, with some of von Richthofen's own planes painted entirely red. This practice soon had its use in German propaganda, even the RFC aircrew dubbing von Richthofen "Le Petit Rouge."

Von Richthofen led his new unit to unparalleled success, peaking during "Bloody April" of 1917. In that month alone, he downed 22 British aircraft, raising his official tally to 52. By June, he was the commander of the first of the new larger Jagdgeschwader (wing) formations, leading Jagdgeschwader 1 composed of Jastas 4, 6, 10, and 11. These were highly mobile combined tactical units that could be sent at short notice to different parts of the front as required. In this way, JG1 became "The Flying Circus" or "Richthofen's Circus", which got its name partially from the aircraft of all different colors and that they used large tents to house men and machines.

Incidentally, although he was now performing the duties of a major or a lieutenant colonel, he remained a captain, in deference to a German army tradition that a son should not hold a higher rank than his father (Richthofen's father was a reserve major in the German army).

On 6 July, during a combat with a formation of No. 20 Squadron's F.E.2d two seat fighters, von Richthofen sustained a serious head wound that forced him to land near Wervicq and grounded him for several weeks. The air victory was credited to Captain Donald Cunnell of the Royal Flying Corps, who himself was killed a few days later. It was during his convalescence that Von Richthofen (probably with the help of a "ghost" writer from a German propaganda unit) wrote his "autobiography". Although the Red Baron returned to combat in October 1917, this injury is thought to have caused lasting damage, as he later often suffered from post-flight nausea and headaches, as well as a change in temperament. There is even a theory linking his injury with his eventual death (see relevant section of this article).

Von Richthofen was a brilliant tactician, building on Boelcke's tactics. But unlike Boelcke, he led by example and force of will rather than by inspiration. He was often described as distant, unemotional, and rather humorless, though some colleagues contend otherwise.

In 1918, von Richthofen had become such a legend that it was feared that his death would be a blow to the morale of the German people. Von Richthofen himself refused to accept a ground job after his wound, stating that if the average German soldier had no choice in his duties, he would therefore continue to fly in combat. Certainly he had become part of a cult of hero-worship, assiduously encouraged by official propaganda. German propaganda circulated various false rumours, including that the British had raised squadrons specially to hunt down von Richthofen, and were offering large rewards and an automatic Victoria Cross to any Allied pilot who shot him down. Passages from his correspondence indicate he may have at least half believed some of these stories himself.


Australian airmen with Richthofen's plane, after it was dismembered by souvenir hunters.
Von Richthofen was killed just after 11 a.m. on April 21, 1918. He died after being struck by a single .303 bullet, while flying over Morlancourt Ridge, near the Somme River.

At the time the Baron had been pursuing (at very low altitude) a Sopwith Camel piloted by a novice Canadian pilot, Lieutenant Wilfrid "Wop" May of No. 209 Squadron, Royal Air Force. In turn, the Baron was spotted and briefly attacked by a Camel piloted by a school friend (and flight Commander) of May, Canadian Captain Arthur "Roy" Brown, who had to dive steeply at very high speed to intervene, and then had to climb steeply to avoid hitting the ground. Richthofen turned to avoid this attack, and then resumed his pursuit of May.

It was almost certainly during the last stage of this pursuit that Richthofen was hit by a single bullet, causing massive damage to his heart and lungs, and resulting in almost immediate death. In the last seconds of his life, he managed to make a hasty but controlled landing in a field on a hill near the Bray-Corbie road, just north of the village of Vaux-sur-Somme, in a sector controlled by the Australian Imperial Force (AIF). His Fokker was not damaged by the landing. One witness, Gunner George Ridgway, stated that when he and other Australian soldiers reached the plane, Richthofen was still alive but died moments later. Another eye witness, Sgt Ted Smout of the Australian Medical Corps, reported that Richthofen's last word was "kaputt" ("broken") immediately before he died.

No. 3 Squadron of the Australian Flying Corps, the nearest Allied air unit, assumed responsibility for von Richthofen's remains, and performed a full military funeral in his honour.

Who fired the fatal shot?

The identity of the person who fired the fatal shot is unknown. The Royal Air Force credited Brown with shooting down the Red Baron. However, Richthofen died following an extremely serious and inevitably fatal chest wound from a single bullet. It seems almost impossible that, if this was from Brown's guns, Richthofen could have continued his pursuit of May for as long as he did.
Most experts now believe that von Richthofen was killed by someone on the ground. The wound through his body indicated that it had been caused by a bullet moving in an upward motion, from the right side, and more importantly, that it was probably received some time after Brown's attack.

Many sources, including a 1998 article by Dr Geoffrey Miller — a physician and historian of military medicine — and a US Public Broadcasting Service documentary made in 2003, have suggested that Sergeant Cedric Popkin was the person most likely to have killed Richthofen. Popkin was an anti-aircraft (AA) machine gunner with the Australian 24th Machine Gun Company, and was using a Vickers gun. He fired at Richthofen's plane on two occasions: first as the Baron was heading straight at his position, and then at long range from the right. Popkin stated — in a 1935 letter, which included a sketch map — to the Australian official war historian, that he believed he had fired the fatal shot as von Richthofen approached his position. Such a shot would have been from directly in front of the plane and could not have been the one that resulted in the Baron's death. However, Popkin was well-placed to fire the fatal shot, when von Richthofen passed him for a second time on the right.

One source, a 2002 documentary produced by the Discovery Channel suggests that Gunner W. J. "Snowy" Evans, a Lewis machine gunner with the 53rd Battery, 14th Field Artillery Brigade, Royal Australian Artillery is likely to have killed von Richthofen. However, Dr Miller and the PBS documentary dismiss these theories.

Other sources have suggested that Gunner Robert Buie (also of the 53rd Battery) may have fired the fatal shot. There is now little support for this theory. Nevertheless, in March 2007, the municipality of Hornsby Shire, in Sydney, recognised Buie, a former resident, as the man who shot down von Richthofen. Buie, who died in 1964, has never been officially recognised in any other way. The Shire placed a plaque near Buie's former home in the suburb of Brooklyn.

Brain damage theory

In September 2004, researchers at the University of Texas published a paper suggesting that it was likely that brain damage (from the head wound suffered by Richthofen in June 1917 referred to above) played a part in the Baron's death. This theory had been published by a German researcher in the medical journal The Lancet five years earlier. His behaviour after his injury was noted as consistent with brain-injured patients, and such an injury may account for his perceived lack of judgement on his final flight: flying too low over enemy territory and suffering target fixation. For unknown reasons, on his final flight, von Richthofen suddenly and inexplicably strayed from several of the strict rules of aerial combat that he himself had devised and obeyed throughout his career. He may also have suffered from what is now recognized as combat fatigue: a symptom of which is a recklessness and disregard for personal safety, which may explain his final flight at low level over enemy lines.

On the other hand, at the time of von Richthofen's death the front was in a highly fluid state, following the initial success of the German offensive of March/April 1918. It is very possible that the Baron may have been mistaken about his position relative to the front line, and underestimated the danger from light anti-aircraft fire. He must also have been acutely aware that the battle he was engaged in was part of Germany's last real chance to win the war - in the face of Allied air superiority the German air service was having great difficulty in acquiring vital reconnaissance information, such as the positions of batteries, while every movement of the German armies was under observation from RFC reconnaissance squadrons. In this situation foolhardiness and extreme bravery may be unusually hard to distinguish.


The commanding officer of No. 3 Squadron AFC, Major David Blake, suggested initially that von Richthofen had been killed by the crew of one of his squadron's R.E.8s, which had also fought von Richthofen's unit that afternoon. However this was quickly disproved, and following an autopsy that he witnessed, Blake became a strong proponent of the view that an AA machine gunner had killed Richthofen.

In common with most Allied air officers, Blake regarded Manfred von Richthofen with great respect, and he organized a full military funeral. Von Richthofen was buried in the cemetery at the village of Bertangles near Amiens on 22 April 1918. Six airmen with the rank of captain — the same rank as von Richthofen — served as pallbearers, and a guard of honour from the squadron's other ranks fired a salute. Other Allied squadrons presented memorial wreaths.

Von Richthofen's aircraft was dismembered by souvenir hunters. Its engine was donated to the Imperial War Museum in London, where it is still on display.

In 1925, Manfred von Richthofen's youngest brother, Bolko, recovered the body and took it home. The family's first intention was to lay Manfred's coffin down at the Schweidnitz cemetery, beside the graves of his father (died in 1920) and his brother, who had been killed in a post-war air crash in 1922. But German authorities expressed a wish that the final place of rest for the body to be interred at the Invalidenfriedhof Cemetery in Berlin, where many German military heroes and leaders were buried. The family agreed. In 1975 his body was exhumed and buried in his family’s tomb at the Südfriedhof in Wiesbaden.

Number of kills

For decades after World War I, some authors questioned whether von Richthofen achieved 80 victories, insisting that his record was exaggerated for propaganda purposes. Some claimed that he took credit for planes downed by his squadron or wing. However, in the 1990s, resurgence in Great War scholarship resulted in detailed investigation of many facets of air combat. A study conducted by British historian Norman Franks with two colleagues, published in Under the Guns of the Red Baron in 1998, concluded that at least 73 of von Richthofen's claimed victories were accurate, with documented identities of the Allied airmen whom von Richthofen had fought and defeated. There were also unconfirmed victories that could put his actual total as high as 100. The highest scoring allied ace was Frenchman René Fonck, with 75 victories and the highest scoring British imperial airman was Canadian Billy Bishop with 72 kills.

It is also significant that while von Richthofen's early victories and the establishment of his reputation coincided with a period of German air superiority the majority of his successes were achieved against a numerically superior enemy, flying fighter aircraft that were on the whole better than his own.

Von Richthofen family

Manfred von Richthofen had a royal ancestry as a great-great-grandson of the older of two illegitimate sons of Leopold I, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau by one Sophie Eleonore Sölden.
His younger brother, Lothar von Richthofen (1894–1922), was also a flying ace, with 40 victories. He served alongside his brother in Jasta 11. He died in an air crash in 1922.
He was distant cousins with the German Field Marshal Wolfram von Richthofen, as well as Frieda von Richthofen (1879-1956), who married the English novelist D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930) in July 1914. Though their last common ancestor was born in 1661, the Red Baron's fame nonetheless attached to Frieda's reputation in war time England. Frieda's sister Else von Richthofen was the first female social scientist in Germany.
His grand-nephew, Baron Dr. Hermann von Richthofen, was German Ambassador to the United Kingdom from 1989-1993, and his name made him a media favorite.
Another grand-nephew, Manfred Alberto von Richthofen, was murdered with his wife Marisia, in their home in São Paulo, Brazil, on 31 October 2002. On 5 June 2006, his daughter, Suzane von Richthofen, along with her boyfriend and his brother, were put on trial for the murder. The case generated significant media attention in Brazil due to the stark contrast between the crime and the daughter's affluent upbringing. On 22 July 2006 Suzane was sentenced to 39 1/2 years in prison for the crime. Her boyfriend got the same sentence and his brother was sentenced to 38 1/2 years for conspiracy.
His uncle, Baron Walter von Richthofen, was also a native of Silesia. Walter von Richthofen came to Denver (Colorado, USA) in 1877 after the Franco-Prussian War, started the Denver Chamber of Commerce, and was celebrated locally as the founder of Montclair as "a fount of health and prosperity, and as a model community with enlightened planning and sophisticated architecture." His "Richthofen Castle" was one of the most sumptuous mansions in the American West. Begun in 1883 and completed in 1887, it was modeled on the original von Richthofen Castle in Germany. Located immediately around the Castle are the Baron's mistress's house and his sanitarium/dairy.

Von Richthofen in the modern German Luftwaffe

June 6, 1959 the German Air Force -- known as Luftwaffe -- established an attack division in honor and memory of Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen in Wittmund, Germany. This squadron is responsible for the airspace safety of northern Germany. At the moment McDonnell Douglas F-4F "Phantom" II are being used, in 2011 the Eurofighter is scheduled to replace the aging Phantom.

Fokker Dr.I - WWI German Fighter (1917)

Kit Manufacturer: Hasegawa, Japan
Museum model.
Materials: All kinds (Wood, Plastic, ABS, Die-Cast Metal, etc...)
Note; This model includes the motor. The motor can also be purchased separately (see below)
Model Specifications: 1:8 Scale. Length 722mm, Wing Span 838mm.

See James Goddard's kit review at HERE
James say's "This kit is among the Hasegawa's top of the line museum model series. As you can expect, it cost a fortune but worth the money. The parts were made precisely and the instructions were excellent. In short, it gave me two months of pleasant building time. However, with wing span of 838mm, I am in trouble of finding a place to display this baby."

Le Rhone. 1/8 scale.
Kit Manufacturer: Hasegawa, Japan
Museum model.
Plastic parts.

Any comments, please contact me at

Every effort has been made to trace the owners of copyright and we apologise to any we have been unable to contact

Jon Crooke

27 August 2007