the MODEL R.A.F. S.E.5A by HASEGAWA 1/8
Click on thumbs to go to a larger versions of photos
RAF SE5a. 1/8 scale.
Museum model. Designed to be displayed without fabric covering.
Multi media kit with metal, plastic, rubber and wood parts.
Finished model size - Length 793mm - Wing Span 1012mm - Height 368mm - Total Parts 999 PCS

W.W.1 HISPANO-SUIZA 150/180. 1/8 scale (1/7 scale)
This AIRPLANE MOTOR KIT contains over 60 cast resin parts and detailed step-by-step instructions.
€ 64,00 from
HISPANO-SUIZA kit review here.


Flown by the greatest Allied aces during the First World War - such as Billy Bishop, James McCudden and the third highest scoring ace of all time, the controversial Edward Mannock, the Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 (Scout Experimental #5) was without doubt one of the most successful British fighters of WW1. It is probably no exaggeration to say that, in most respects, the S.E.5a was the Spitfire of the First World War.

The S.E.5 and 5a, rivals the Sopwith Camel for the title of the most successful British fighter of the First World War. It was designed by H. P. Folland, J. Kenworthy and Major F. W. Goodden of the Royal Aircraft Factory. The prototype S.E.5, A4561, appeared in December 1916, powered by the new 150 h.p. Hispano-Suiza engine with a car-type radiator and short exhaust manifolds. The wings had wire-braced spruce spars and, in place of compression struts, some ribs were of solid construction. The tailplane incidence could be changed in flight. The fuselage was a wire-braced wooden box girder, covered with fabric except for plywood sides from the nose to the front spar of the lower wing, and around the cockpit. The S.E.5 was so strong that one pilot flew it through the side of a house and emerged unhurt. The main fuel tank was behind the engine, and there was a gravity tank in the port side of the centre section.

In January 1917 the wings of the prototype collapsed in flight, and Major Goodden was killed. The main planes of subsequent machines were strengthened, their span was reduced and blunter tips were fitted. A few of the early production aircraft, however, retained the wing plan of the first two prototypes. A Vickers gun, fixed on the port side of the fuselage with its breech inside the cockpit, fired through the airscrew by means of the Constantinesco interrupter gear. A Lewis gun on a Foster mounting could be fired ahead over the top wing or directly upwards.

The type first went to France on 7 April 1917, with No. 56 Squadron. The early machines had celluloid "green-houses" over the cockpits; these were liable to be dangerous in a crash, so Major Bloomfield, the C.O., had them replaced by flat Triplex windscreens. The gravity tank was soon moved from the top of the wing to a position inside the centre section. A few S.E.5s had faired head-rests. A modified version, the S.E.5a, powered by the 200 h.p. geared Hispano-Suiza engine, was introduced in June 1917. It had a rather deeper nose than that of the S.E.5, radiator shutters and long exhaust pipes. The standard faired head-rest was frequently removed to improve the rearward view. From December 1917, the front struts of the undercarriage vees were strengthened. The geared 200 h.p. engine suffered from manufacturing faults, and there were frequent failures. In addition, engine construction lagged behind airframe manufacture, and the S.E.5a was not available in quantity until well into 1918. Eventually the Wolseley W.4a Viper 200 h.p. engine, based on the Hispano-Suiza, became standard and there were no more engine difficulties. The Viper's radiator was square and bulky, with short horizontal shutters.

Both friend and foe recognised the S.E. as a formidable fighting machine; it was fast, extremely strong and easy to fly. Superior to the Albatros D-III and D-V, the Pfalz D-III and the Fokker Dr-I, it was not outclassed when the excellent Fokker D-VII appeared in May 1918. It is significant that the S.E.5a was the mount of Mannock (73 victories - 50 in S.E.5a's), Bishop (72), McCudden (57) and Beauchamp-Proctor (54). Some machines, of No. 24 Squadron were rigged with reduced dihedral to improve their manoeuvrability.

The S.E.5 was a fairly forgiving aircraft for relatively inexperienced pilots due to it's excellent handling characteristics, a huge benifit given the minimal flying training that, because of the pressure of circumstance, was given to trainee pilots before they were posted to their squadrons. It provided a splendid view for the pilot and its cockpit was warm and comfortable.Thanks to the efforts of the engineers, this aircraft was as almost as maneuverable as its contemporary, the Sopwith Camel, but was noticeably faster and quieter and a fighter with formidable capabilities. The aces exploited its superior speed and altitude capability by stalking their targets from above and behind and then swooping down on their unsuspecting victim. It was a fine gun platform with none of the bad traits of some contemporaries; i.e., vicious turning because of engine torque, or shedding of fabric or wings. Many pilots who would not ordinarily have become aces, did so on the S.E.5a because its stability let them concentrate on their targets. Its superior speed also allowed a pilot to break off combat at will. Toward the end of the War, some SE 5a's were employed in close support missions, armed with light bombs. The combined production of the SE.5 and the SE5a reached 5,205, including some modified as two-seaters.

The plane was used in Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Palestine, and also on the Salonica Front. Many were assigned to the air defense of British territory, with unimpressive results.

The armament of both aircraft consisted of a forward-firing synchronized 7.7-mm (303-caliber) Vickers machine gun mounted on the port side of the fuselage and a Lewis machine gun mounted above the center-section of the main plane on a Foster mounting, plus up to four 25-lb. bombs. It has been said that the Foster mounting configuration was selected based on the input of Capt. Ball whose fighting tactics in his Nieuport was to dive down below an opponent and then lower his Lewis gun to strafe the enemy aircraft from below with the Lewis gun in a vertical position.

With 54 victories, South African Anthony Beauchamp Proctor downed more enemy aircraft with this plane than any other ace. 207 pilots died in combat and 79 pilots died from non-combat related causes while flying the S.E.5 and S.E.5a during World War I.

Photos above courtesy of the Memorial Flight web site. See link at bottom of page.

Aircraft and Flight Characteristics
Great Britain
Royal Aircraft Factory
Entered Service:
7 April 1917 (S.E.5)
June 1917 (S.E.5a)
Production aircraft Engines
Hispano-Suiza, water cooled, 200 hp (manufacturing problems)
Wolsely W4a Viper (200 h.p.)
Gross Weight 1988 lb [902 kg]
Wing Span:
26 ft 7 3/8 in [8.11 m]
20 ft 11 in [6.38 m]
Height: 9 ft 6 in
Max. Speed 123 mph at 15,000 ft.
Landing Speed 55 mph
Climb to:6500 ft.
6 min. 20 sec.
Climb to 10,000 ft.
10 min. 50 sec.
Climb to:15,000 ft.
19 min. 55 sec.
Service Ceiling
19,500 ft.
2.5 - 3 hours
Armament 1 Vickers .303 (port side of the fuselage)
1 Lewis .303 gun (mounted atop the upper wing)
Fuel Capacity Main Fuselage Tank 120 litres
Top Wing Gravity Tank 17 Litres
Number Built:
5,205 (S.E.5 and S.E.5a)

the ENGINE Wolsely W4a Viper (Hisso)

The Hispano-Suiza, or "Hisso" engine pioneered the use of aluminium cylinder blocks with steel liners - an arrangement that was to become standard for high-powered water-cooled engines. They were especially compact for the amount of power they produced.

Hispano-Suiza engine was designed by Marc Birkigt at the Sociedad Hispano-Suiza, Barcelona, Spain.

The Hispano-Suiza engine pioneered the use of aluminium cylinder blocks with steel liners - an arrangement that was to become standard for high-powered water-cooled engines.

The Hispano-Suiza is a Vee-type, eight-cylinder, liquid-cooled aviation engine. It is one of the series of 150 to 340 hp V-8 engines of similar basic design produced by Hispano-Suiza (or license-built by other manufacturers including Wolesly in England) during and after World War I. Hispano-Suiza, or "Hisso," engines were especially compact for the amount of power produced. They were used in numerous types of aircraft including models of the SE-5E and SPAD.

The engine in the Hasegawa model is the Wolesly.4A* Viper built under license to Hispano-Suiza. This was almost the same as the 180hp 'Hisso' 8Ab with transverse mags and double oil pumps. All but the first 8 engines had balanced crankshafts. All took the 200hp English Hisso prop hub. Two Zenith duplex carbs, two mags. 200hp rating, Direct Drive. Full throttle 220hp at sea level. max at 2000rpm, 225hp at 2100rpm. 500lbs

Photos above courtesy of the Memorial Flight web site. See link at bottom of page.
Technical details
Power output
157 kW (210 hp) at 2000 rpm
230 kg (508 lb)
Engine Eight-cylinder 90° V-type
Cooling medium
Camshafts and valves
Fuel system
Zenith, duplex-type carburettor
Ignition Two BTH-AV8 magnetos


A colleague said of him, "A kinder, more thoughtful man you could never meet."

But in combat, Mannock became an ruthless and relentless 'Killing Machine'.

Often physically ill before going on patrol, he became obsessively fearful of one thing - a flaming death. He took to carrying a loaded pistol with him. "I'll
put a bullet through my head if the machine catches fire . . . they'll never burn me."

Like many aces in both World Wars, Mannock was one of those who demonized and depersonalized his enemies. After machine gunning the two occupants of a downed German plane, Mannock explained "The swines are better dead - no prisoners." Interestingly, he combined this implacable hatred for German members of the human race with an abiding faith in the Labour Party's promise of social justice for workers.

Whatever his motivations, he was the highest scoring British ace of the First World War, credited with 61 German aircraft. (Many sources say 73, but the noted historian and author Norman Franks has determined 61 to be more accurate.)

The early years
Edward 'Mick' Mannock (the nickname, "Mick," led many to believe he was Irish), the son of Edward and Julia Mannock, was born at Preston Barracks, Brighton (or born in Aldershot, England ?) on 24th May 1887. Edward Mannock Snr was a corporal in the Royal Scots regiment and the family was constantly on the move. As a child Mick lived in England, Scotland, Ireland and India. While in India, Mick picked up an infection and went blind.

Eventually Mick recovered his sight but for the rest of his life he had difficulty seeing out of his left eye (one would think a nearly impossible defect for a fighter pilot to overcome). After Edward Mannock Snr returned from the Boer War he deserted his wife and four children. Mick, who had suffered from his father's drunken rages, later revealed that he was pleased when he heard that his father had left the family home. However, the family were now very poor and Mick had to abandon his schooling at the earliest opportunity in order to bring in some much needed money and eventually boarded with a childless couple. After a series of menial jobs, Mick found work as a telephone engineer.

Mick became interested in politics and as a young man became a committed socialist. By age 20, Mannock had joined the Labour Party and burned with a sense of social injustice. Jim Eyles, a close friend later said that: "Mick told everyone he met that every man should prepare himself for the new age. The downtrodden of the world were about to get their chance at last; it was a duty for men to make the best of this opportunity for which the up-and-coming leaders of the new ideas had suffered so much." Mick spoke at political meetings and Jim Eyes later remarked how surprised he was that this young man "who had been dragged up in the most awful squalor, could match wits with these high-born and well-educated classes."

In February 1914, Mick Mannock's employers, the National Telephone Company, sent him to work in Turkey. When war was declared on 4th August 1914, Mick attempted to get back to England. Turkey had formed a defence alliance with Germany and Mick realised he was in danger. However, before he could arrange transport, Mick was arrested by the Turkish authorities and put into a concentration camp. Several attempts at escape, resulted in long periods of solitary-confinement in a 6ft cage and his health rapidly declined. Near death, Mick was eventually allowed to leave for England in April 1915. He then joined the Royal Army Medical Corps and by 1916, he had become an officer.

In the summer of 1916, Mannock began reading in the newspapers about the exploits of Albert Ball, Britain's leading flying ace. Ball, who was not yet twenty years old, had already shot down eleven German aircraft. Mannock asked for a transfer to the Royal Flying Corps. At age 29 and with a bad eye, he made an unlikely candidate for pilot training, but in the pressing demand for fliers, he was accepted and in August 1916, he was sent to the School of Military Aeronautics in Reading. The story is told that he memorized the eye chart while reading it with his good eye.

Royal Flying Corps
He was made a flying officer in February, 1917, with the Joyce Green Reserve Squadron. During his first solo in an Airco DH-2 pusher biplane, he got into a spin at 1,000 feet, and recovered, but got in trouble with his CO, Major Keith Caldwell, who suspected Mick of showboating. But he soon got on well with the Major. Caldwell described Mick as "very reserved, inclined toward a strong temper, but very patient and somewhat difficult to arouse."

In March 1917, it was decided that Mannock was ready to be sent to the RFC's Nieuport-equipped 40th Squadron on the Western Front. Mannock arrived at St. Omer in France on 6th April 1917 ('Bloody April' 1917, the blackest month of the war in terms of casualties for the Royal Flying Corps). The reserved Mannock didn't fit in right away. On his first night, he inadvertently sat down in an empty chair, a chair which a newly fallen flier had occupied until that day. At first, Mick held back in the air, too, to the extent that some pilots thought he was yellow. He admitted that he was very frightened. Mannock's personality and political opinions upset the other pilots. Lieutenant Lional Blaxland later recalled his first impression of Mannock: "He was different. His manner, speech and familiarity were not liked. New men usually took their time and listened to the more experienced hands; Mannock was the complete opposite. He offered ideas about everything: how the war was going, how it should be fought, the role of scout pilots, what was wrong or right with our machines. Most men in his position, by that I mean a man with his background, would have shut up."

Finally, on May 7, he shot down an observation balloon and thought this would gain him the acceptance of the squadron. That night at dinner, silence again. Only this time it was no faux pas of Mannock's; the beloved ace, Albert Ball, had been shot down. Mick wept.

Mannock had difficulty adjusting to combat duties and he had to wait until the 7th June 1917 before he made his first confirmed 'kill'. Before he could add to his total he received a wound to the head during a dogfight with two German pilots.

Mannock was sent back to England to recover. Mick went to stay with his mother but was dismayed to find that his mother, like his father, was now an alcoholic. He also discovered that his sister, Jessie, was working as a prostitute in Birmingham. Upset by the state of his family, Mick was anxious to get back to France, and desperately short of trained pilots, the RFC agreed that he could return to duty.

After returning to France in July, Mannock quickly developed a reputation as one of the most talented pilots in the RFC. In the first two weeks after arriving back at the Western Front he won four dogfights in his SE-5a. This gave him new confidence and on the 16th August he shot down four aircraft in a day. The following morning he added two more victories to his total. On the 17th September he won the Military Cross for driving off several enemy aircraft while destroying three German observation balloons. The following month he was awarded a bar to his Military Cross. The official citation read: "He attacked a formation of five enemy machines single-handed and shot one down out of control; while engaged with an enemy machine, he was attacked by two others, one of which he forced down to the ground."

Mannock was deeply affected by the amount of men he was killing. In his diary he recorded visiting the site where one of his victims had crashed near the front-line: "The journey to the trenches was rather nauseating - dead men's legs sticking through the sides with puttees and boots still on - bits of bones and skulls with the hair peeling off, and tons of equipment and clothing lying about. This sort of thing, together with the strong graveyard stench and the dead and mangled body of the pilot combined to upset me for a few days."

Mannock was especially upset when he saw one of his victims catch fire on its way to the ground. From that date on, Mick Mannock always carried a revolver with him in his cockpit. As he told his friend Lieutenant MacLanachan: "The other fellows all laugh at me for carrying a revolver. They think I'm going to shoot down a machine with it, but they're wrong. The reason I bought it was to finish myself as soon as I see the first signs of flames."

Mannock's fear of fire was made worse by the British High Command's decision not to allow pilots in the Royal Flying Corps to carry parachutes. Mannock believed it was unfair to deny British airman to right to have parachutes when German pilots had been using them successfully for several months. He was especially angry about the main reason given for this decision: "It is the opinion of the board that the presence of such an apparatus might impair the fighting spirit of pilots and cause them to abandon machines which might otherwise be capable of returning to base for repair."

He kept flying and conquered his fear. He worked tirelessly at gunnery practice and forced himself to get close to the German airplanes. After one kill, he coldly described it. "I was only ten yards away from him - on top so I couldn't miss. A beautifully colored insect he was - red, blue, green, and yellow. I let him have 60 rounds, so there wasn't much left of him." He was grimly determined to bring down the German Empire. His determination, flying skills, and sense of teamwork earned him a promotion to Captain. At the end of the year, the squadron transitioned to SE-5a's. (One of the best fighters of the war, over 5,000 S.E.5's were produced. It's dihedral upper wing, with a Lewis gun perched atop it, was distinctive. Capable of 135 MPH, it was one of the speediest planes of the era.)

As flight commander he was able to introduce a new approach to combat flying. Mannock believed that the "days of the lone fighter was past and air fighting was now a matter for co-ordinated and planned fighting units which could inflict maximum damage and minimum losses."

Often physically ill before going on patrol, Mannock routinely shared victories with other pilots or didn't bother submitting claims for enemy aircraft he'd downed in combat.

In March, 1918 (or February 1918), with twenty-three kills to his credit, Mannock was appointed flight commander of the new 74th Squadron. He continued as always, shooting down Germans, but never hogging credit, carelessly letting newer fellows get credit for kills. But in three months, he claimed thirty-six more, bringing his total to fifty-nine. Mannock had now overtaken Albert Ball's total of forty-four kills. In June he was promoted to the rank of major and the following month became commander of 85 Squadron. He was an excellent CO; he took a very protective attitude toward his fliers and lectured them on survival and success. "Sight your own guns," he told them, "The armourer doesn't have to do the fighting."

He became obsessively fearful of one thing - a flaming death. It was a horror he had seen and inflicted often enough. He took to carrying a loaded pistol with him. "They'll never burn me." he resolved.

His hatred of the Germans grew, "I sent one of them to Hell in flames today ... I wish Kaiser Bill could have seen him sizzle." Once he forced a German two-seater to crash. Most pilots would have been satisfied with that, but not Mick. He repeatedly machine-gunned the helpless crew. When his squadron mate questioned this behavior, Mannock explained "The swines are better dead - no prisoners." On hearing of his German enemy, Manfred von Richthofen's demise, he had commented, "I hope the bastard burned the whole way down". Another time he pursued a silver Pfalz scout; the two planes rolled, dived, looped and firing. Eventually Mick got the better of his oppponent and the German started twisting and turning as it fell toward a certain crash. Mick stayed on it, firing away, "a really remarkable exhibition of cruel, calculated Hun-strafing" another pilot called it. On this day, Mannock shot down four planes. He delightedly announced to the mess hall, "Flamerinoes - four! Sizzle sizzle wonk!"

Van Ira, a South African flier in the 74th commented on Mannock's success:
"Four in one day! What is the secret? Undoubtedly the gift of accurate shooting, combined with the determination to get to close quarters before firing. It's an amazing gift, for no pilot in France goes nearer to a Hun before firing than [Mannock], but he only gets one down here and there, in spite of the fact that his tracer bullets appear to be going through his opponent's body."

Mannock was awarded the D.S.O. not long after his four-in-a-day feat.

Mid 1918
By this time, the strain of combat flying and the fear of his own fiery death got to Mannock. But he kept flying, repeatedly scoring multiple kills. He fell sick with the flu, aggravated by tension and was finally granted a well earned home leave. When he left the 74th Squadron, he wept publicly.

Jim Eyles later recalled Mick Mannock's last leave before his death.
"I well remember his last leave. Gone was the old sparkle we knew so well; gone was the incessant wit. I could see him wringing his hands together to conceal the shaking and twitching, and then he would leave the room when it became impossible for him to control it. On one occasion we were sitting in the front talking quietly when his eyes fell to the floor, and he started to tremble violently. He cried uncontrollably. His face, when he lifted it, was a terrible sight. Later he told me that it had just been a 'bit of nerves' and that he felt better for a good cry. He was in no condition to return to France, but in those days such things were not taken into account".

On starting his third tour of duty in July, as CO of the 85th Squadron, he confided his mortal fears to a friend, worried that three was an unlucky number. He became obsessed with neatness and order; his hair, his medals, his boots, everything had to be 'just so'. The death of his friend, and fellow top ace, James McCudden, on July 8th, profoundly affected him.

But he kept going and he kept destroying enemy airplanes. On the 14th July, 1918, near Merville, he attacked and crashed a Fokker from 7,000 feet, and brought a two-seater down damaged. On the 19th July, 1918, near Merville, he fired 80 rounds into an Albatross two-seater, which went to the ground in flames. On 20th July he shot down a Albatros giving him fifty-eight victories, one more than the British record held by James McCudden. When he shot down a triplane on July 22, a friend congratulated him. "They'll have the red carpet out for you after the war, Mick." But Mannock glumly replied, "There won't be any 'after the war' for me."

He befriended a New Zealand flier, Lt. Donald Inglis, as if to replace McCudden. On July 26, the two went up, and Mannock let Inglis finish off a German plane. The two destroyed one German plane, and then a second on their way home. While crossing the trenches, the fighters were met with a massive volley of ground-fire. The engine of Mannock's aircraft was hit and immediately caught fire and crashed behind German lines, near Lestrem.
Inglis described what happened after the second kill: "Falling in behind Mick again we made a couple of circles around the burning wreck and then made for home. I saw Mick start to kick his rudder, then I saw a flame come out of his machine; it grew bigger and bigger. Mick was no longer kicking his rudder. His nose dropped slightly and he went into a slow right-hand turn, and hit the ground in a burst of flame. I circled at about twenty feet but could not see him, and as things were getting hot, made for home and managed to reach our outposts with a punctured fuel tank. Poor Mick ...the bloody bastards had shot my Major down in flames".

Mannock's body was found 250 yards from the wreck of his machine. He did not fire his revolver but it is believed he might have jumped from his blazing plane just before it crashed.

A year later, following representations from his former flying colleagues Mannock, he was awarded the Victoria Cross, for his sixty-one kills, and for being "an outstanding example of fearless courage, remarkable skill, devotion to duty and self-sacrifice which has never been surpassed". Mannock's Victoria Cross was presented to his father at Buckingham Palace in July 1919. Edward Mannock was also given his son's other medals, even though Mick had stipulated in his will that his father should receive nothing from his estate. Soon afterwards Mannock's medals were sold for £5. They have since been recovered and can be seen at the Royal Air Force Museum at Hendon

In spite of his remarkable record Mannock's fame was largely restricted to the armed services rather than among the general public.

Edward Corringham "Mick" Mannock

(1) Jim Eyles first met Mick Mannock when he was twenty-four.
I first met Mick at a cricket match in Wellingborough. I was impressed with him immediately. He was a clean-cut young man, although not what one would call well dressed; in fact, he was a bit threadbare. I asked him if he would like to move in with my wife and myself, and he was most happy about the idea. After he moved in, our home was never the same again, our normally quiet life gone forever. It was wonderful really. He would talk into the early hours of the morning if you let him - all sorts of subjects: politics, society, you name it and he was interested. It was clear from the outset he was a socialist. He was also deeply patriotic. A kinder, more thoughtful man you could never meet.

(2) Captain Chapman was one of Mick Mannock's teachers at the School of Military Aeronautics. He later described Mick Mannock's early training.
When he arrived he seemed not to have the slightest conception of an aeroplane. The first time we took off the ground, Mannock, unlike many pupils, instead of jamming the rudder and seizing the joystick in a herculean grip, looked over the side of the aeroplane at the earth, which was dropping rapidly away from him, with an expression which betrayed the mildest interest. He made his first solo flight with but a few hours' instruction, for he seemed to master the rudiments of flying with his first hour in the air and from then on threw the machine about how he pleased.

(3) Keith Caldwell was Major Mick Mannock's squadron leader during the First World War. In an interview he gave in 1981, Caldwell explained why Mannock was such a successful pilot.
Mannock was an extraordinarily good shot and a very good strategist, he could place his flight team high against the sun and lead them into a favourable position where they would have the maximum advantage. Then he would go quickly on the enemy, slowing down at the last possible moment to ensure that each of his followers got into a good firing position.

(4) H. G. Clements wrote an account of Major Mick Mannock in 1981.
The fact that I am still alive is due to Mick's high standard of leadership and the strict discipline on which he insisted. We were all expected to follow and cover him as far as possible during an engagement and then to rejoin the formation as soon as that engagement was over. None of Mick's pilots would have dreamed of chasing off alone after the retreating enemy or any other such foolhardy act. He moulded us into a team, and because of his skilled leadership we became a highly efficient team. Our squadron leader said that Mannock was the most skillful patrol leader in World War I, which would account for the relatively few casualties in his flight team compared with the high number of enemy aircraft destroyed.

(5) Lieutenant MacLanachan met Mick Mannock in May 1917. After the war MacLanachan wrote about his experiences in his book Fighter Pilot.
Mick was twenty-eight or twenty-nine when I met him for the first time. He had then been two months in France. Everything about him demonstrated his vitality, a strong, manly man. His alert brain was quick, and an unbroken courage and straightforward character forced him to take action where others would sit down uncomprehending. I was awed by his personality.

(7) An extract from Mick Mannock's last letter to Jim Eyles.
I feel that life is not worth hanging on to. I had hopes of getting married, but not now.

(8) Lieutenant Donald Inglis was with Mick Mannock when he was shot down.
Mick fired at a two-seater. He must have got the observer, as the Hun stopped shooting. I fired and hit the Hun's petrol-tank. Falling in behind Mick again, we did a couple of turns over the burning wreck and then made for home. We were fairly low, then I saw a flame come out of the side of his machine; it grew bigger and bigger. He went into a slow right-hand turn, about twice, and hit the ground in a burst of flame.

(9) Private Naulls was in the front trenches when he saw Mannock's aircraft brought down.
There was a lot of rifle-fire from the Jerry trenches, and a machine-gun near Robecq opened up, using tracers. I saw these strike Mannock's engine. A blueish-white flame appeared and spread rapidly; smoke and flames enveloped the engine and cockpit.

"If I have any luck, I think I may beat old Mac's [James McCudden] fifty seven victories. Then I shall try and oust old Richthofen . . ." Edward Mannock

"I sent one of them down to hell in flames today . . . I wish Kaiser Bill could have seen him sizzle." Edward Mannock

"I'll put a bullet through my head if the machine catches fire . . . they'll never burn me." Edward Mannock

"The scrap took place at 2000 feet up, well within view of the whole front. And the cheers! It took me five minutes to get him to go down, and I had to shoot him before he would land. I was very pleased that I did not kill him. Right arm broken by a bullet, left arm and left leg deep flesh wounds." Edward Mannock, describing his encounter with Joachim von Bertrab

S.E.5a 1:8 by Hasegawa.

W.W.1 HISPANO-SUIZA 150/180. 1/8 scale by Modelart by Marco


Fantastic modelling resource. A real SE5 restoration with the best detail photos on the net.

Great source of historical info and statistics.

Any comments, please contact me at

Every effort has been made to trace the owners of copyright and we apologise to any we have been unable to contact

Jon Crooke

30 January 2005